Duping player count

Forum for general DAoC Portal discussion.

Moderator: Support Team

Duping player count

Postby Kosiguru » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:17 am

Just curious if this was allowed?

There's a server blatantly doing it and I'm not sure how I feel about it since i've never seen it done before.
Kosiguru

Re: Duping player count

Postby Graveen » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:33 am

Of course it is not allowed, but how consider a server displaying 100 players where you can only find 2 ? Will players connect one more time ? :)
* pm me to contribute in Dawn of Light: code, database *
Graveen
Project Leader

Postby Kosiguru » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:54 am

Yeah I don't think it'll help them get players, was just disappointed when logging into Excal to see half the actual people on. Sort of unfair for the servers with accurate player counts, I suppose.
Kosiguru

Postby Tolakram » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:47 pm

Yeah I don't think it'll help them get players, was just disappointed when logging into Excal to see half the actual people on. Sort of unfair for the servers with accurate player counts, I suppose.
There is no proof he is padding numbers, so let's be careful throwing names around. How do you know half the players aren't anonymous buff bots? If you have hard evidence then present it, otherwise this is just another random user making an accusation that can't be proven.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Kosiguru » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:24 pm

There is no proof he is padding numbers, so let's be careful throwing names around. How do you know half the players aren't anonymous buff bots? If you have hard evidence then present it, otherwise this is just another random user making an accusation that can't be proven.
1. Calm down, Mr. Defensive.

2. It's not my job to uphold the integrity of the server list, calling me random for pointing you in the right direction of someone breaking your rules is a bit silly.

3. You're right, it's entirely possible that there's exactly as many anonymous bots online as actual players 24/7. This is hugely improbable, though.

4. /online
4a. Don't have rules if you don't like the reality of upholding them.

Cheers.
Kosiguru

Postby Tolakram » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Who the hell are you to accuse anyone of cheating? That's my point. You drop a server name then I'm on your ass for proof. For all I know you have a personal dislike for the server admin and are just blowing BS.

I find it humorous you think it's a JOB to enforce rules here. The only one I'm about to enforce is to ban you for being an ass. Apparently you think it's OK to either let people make accusations here at will, OR that every accusation should cause one of us "workers" to stop everything and go check out the validity of the claim.

So I'll ask a direct question of you.

Why should I trust anything you say?

Strike 2.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Kosiguru » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Who the hell are you to accuse anyone of cheating? That's my point. You drop a server name then I'm on your ass for proof. For all I know you have a personal dislike for the server admin and are just blowing BS.

I find it humorous you think it's a JOB to enforce rules here. The only one I'm about to enforce is to ban you for being an ass. Apparently you think it's OK to either let people make accusations here at will, OR that every accusation should cause one of us "workers" to stop everything and go check out the validity of the claim.

So I'll ask a direct question of you.

Why should I trust anything you say?

Strike 2.
No one, and I never claimed to be. I made an observation about a server and you jumped me. Use the information or don't,.

I don't think it's a job. I never said that, and I'd be happy to elaborate on whatever I said to make you think I did.

Don't mistake this for a demand for action, just an observation. You seem to think if I notice a server breaking a rule it's my JOB to come and prove something to you. I don't care either way, I was simply conversing with Graveen.

Do what you will, buddy. Ragebans aren't something new in the freeshard world.
Kosiguru

Postby Tolakram » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:58 pm

No one, and I never claimed to be. I made an observation about a server and you jumped me. Use the information or don't,.

I don't think it's a job. I never said that, and I'd be happy to elaborate on whatever I said to make you think I did.

Don't mistake this for a demand for action, just an observation. You seem to think if I notice a server breaking a rule it's my JOB to come and prove something to you. I don't care either way, I was simply conversing with Graveen.

Last chance, in case you're just missing the key point. When you decide it's time to mention a server name on the forums and accuse them of cheating, which you did, you have to have a good reason. Your casual conversation ended when you mentioned a server name. It's really not that hard to understand. You've been here since 2005, so if I assume you joined when you were 15 that puts you around 23. Old enough to understand that accusations have consequences, I hope.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Kosiguru » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Last chance, in case you're just missing the key point. When you decide it's time to mention a server name on the forums and accuse them of cheating, which you did, you have to have a good reason. Your casual conversation ended when you mentioned a server name. It's really not that hard to understand. You've been here since 2005, so if I assume you joined when you were 15 that puts you around 23. Old enough to understand that accusations have consequences, I hope.
I gave a few good reasons... what exactly are you asking for? You seem to think I have some external goal other than simple conversation about a server. Your hostility is misplaced. If you'd like me to log on and take a screeshot of /online I can do that, but I'm not sure what that will prove. I could tell you I know for a fact being anon doesn't hide you from the /online zone count but you'd probably scream for hard evidence and threaten to ban me again.

Calm down and use that phpbb admin you're so proud of if you don't care to have a civil conversation.
Kosiguru

Postby Tolakram » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:53 pm

I gave a few good reasons
No
You seem to think I have some external goal other than simple conversation about a server.
Yes
Calm down and use that phpbb admin you're so proud of if you don't care to have a civil conversation.
Strike 3. My first response was civil, yours was not. Toodles.
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Tolakram » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:27 pm

For those reading this thread ...
4. /online
4a. Don't have rules if you don't like the reality of upholding them.
I assume you mean /who all since DOL has no /online command.

and
I could tell you I know for a fact being anon doesn't hide you from the /online zone count
Code: Select all
// get list of clients depending on server type foreach (GameClient serverClient in WorldMgr.GetAllPlayingClients()) { GamePlayer addPlayer = serverClient.Player; if (addPlayer == null) continue; if (serverClient.Account.PrivLevel > (uint)ePrivLevel.Player && serverClient.Player.IsAnonymous == false) { clientsList.Add(addPlayer.Client); continue; } if (addPlayer.Client != client // always add self && client.Account.PrivLevel == (uint)ePrivLevel.Player && (addPlayer.IsAnonymous || !GameServer.ServerRules.IsSameRealm(addPlayer, client.Player, true))) { continue; } clientsList.Add(addPlayer.Client); } // no params if (args.Length == 1) { int playing = clientsList.Count; // including anon? DisplayMessage(client, string.Format(MESSAGE_PLAYERS_ONLINE, playing, playing > 1 ? "s" : "")); DisplayMessage(client, MESSAGE_NO_ARGS); return; }
clientsList will only contain non anonymous players of the same realm as you.

If you were actually referring to a command called /online then this is a custom command someone added and I have no idea what it includes.

online command: http://www.dolserver.net/?page=userreleases&view=323
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Tolakram » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:54 am

Imagine me finding nothing amiss?

Excalibur (Last Man Standing today) 20

The old online script does not recognize some of the newer classes in the display.

So you see, just by reviewing your posting history I guessed you had no real basis for this claim, and I was correct. This is why I have so little tolerance for people who come here and accuse others of cheating. It's usually BS and probably because you were caught cheating and banned.
Attachments
zzexcal.jpg
zzexcal.jpg (147.35 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
- Mark
Tolakram
Storm / Storm-D2 Admin

Postby Kalador » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:19 am

No
Yes
Don't bother providing valid reasons, just exclaim your thoughts as fact. Devoid of justification I suppose this is your only recourse.
Strike 3. My first response was civil, yours was not. Toodles.
Not even close. But rage-ban to make yourself feel better, no worries. It must be easier to win an argument after you block the other person from responding. Have a history of not doing so well when it's a two-sided engagement?
I assume you mean /who all since DOL has no /online command.
You shouldn't make assumptions, they aren't working for you. I'm not sure how your brain jumped from /online to /who, but these words are very different. I'll chalk it up to another failing of your adolescent brain.
If you were actually referring to a command called /online then this is a custom command someone added and I have no idea what it includes.
Funny, because all of your responses make me think you have at least an iota of understanding on the topic. Oh wait, nope, this fits perfectly.
So you see, just by reviewing your posting history I guessed you had no real basis for this claim, and I was correct. This is why I have so little tolerance for people who come here and accuse others of cheating. It's usually BS and probably because you were caught cheating and banned.
It's clear he removed the duping, as I expected he would. If you would have checked yesterday (or just general population over the past week+, you'd see he has 20-40 on at all times. Now it's 10-20, as is the actual population trend. But you felt like being an ignorant twat and building up your own ego-driven confirmation bias with your childish responses.

Your screenshot shows exactly as it always has, but before the change it would show exactly 40 on daoc portal. This was never a difference of a few expansion classes, it was a clear x2 modification of /online to the portal display. It's okay if the guy who runs that server is your friend, or you're just generally irate due to being an egotistical douchebag, just felt like educating you.

Don't feel so threatened, you've got your little phpbb admin on your little dolserver forums, you can have that. No one wants to take that from you; you can relax. Next time instead of getting defensive and spewing bullshit absent reason or justification try using your brain.

Also - the little 'you were caught cheating' thing is cute. It is yet another ad hominem fairy tale made up to make yourself feel bigger. It's okay if you have nothing valid to respond with, and instead resort to things like this (see your 'no' and 'yes' responses) but don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

You must be at least 30, it's sad your brain has aged so little compared to your body. Consider reading up on ethics of discourse or getting into therapy.

Cheers, kiddo.
Kalador
DOL Guest

Return to “%s” General